While most adoptive parents receive adequate pre-adoption training and materials, finding post-adoption education and support is difficult. Because it is critical to our children’s well-being that we are knowledgeable about sensitive, adoption-related issues, education is a core focus of our organization. This teaching/preparation/learning will help ensure we are better equipped to respond to our children, extended family, friends and strangers about delicate and personal issues.
Post-adoption instruction also ensures we have the latest, relevant data to be supportive and make the best decisions about how to talk to our children about adoption. Adoptive Families of Houston has discussed a wide variety of topics during its previous educational programs, including:
- Adoption Myths and Realities
- Adoption and School
- Adoption and Sibling Relationships
- Adoption and Social Media
- Attachment from Infancy to Adulthood
- How to Talk to Your Child About Adoption
- Meeting the Emotional Needs of an Adopted Child
- Nature vs. Nurture
- Navigating Semi-Open and Open Adoptions
- Positive Adoption Language
- Real life stories from Adoptive Parents
- Life a a Birth Mother
- What Adoption Means to a Teen Adoptee
Continuing Education Units
Adoptive Families of Houston is offering Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for all of our educational programs. The CEUs are approved by the Texas State Board of Social Workers Examiners.
There are no upcoming events.